Friday, October 21, 2005

TODAY (insert trumpets bleating triumphantly here) IS THE LAST DAY (EVER!) I WILL WAITRESS!!!

Oh thank god, it's almost over. I will never -- repeat -- never wait tables again.

Though... I do have to say... in some weird, bizarro way... there is a sense of satisfication you get when you do a good job waiting on a table. Everything is immediate. You understand you're doing a good job right away (ah yes, got their drinks down, now get salads, okay perfect timing, right, here comes their food.) If the people are cool, then they appreciate you right away too. (thank you so much -- big smile -- you were great) And then of course, the money is immediate. (wahoo... they left me a 30% tip. wow.)

It's a similar feeling as when I was teaching English in China. (and it's so noticeable because it's so incredibly dissimilar from my job as a TV producer) When I did a good job teaching my students, they were immediately appreciative. And I got to see my results right away. (oh good... I taught them how to pronounce their "l's" -- there goes being able to make them sing Deck the Halls and getting a good laugh out of it)

I wonder if I could get Discovery Channel to start writing thank you notes for a job well done? Maybe National Geographic could start tipping producers who get their shows delivered on time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home