Wednesday, August 24, 2005

While I thought the clientele would be less colorful at my new restaurant, I was completely wrong. Interesting tidbits from the first night include:

1) Being back at a high-end restaurant again gave me a serious sense of deja vous. It's been about 7 years since I've worked at a place like this, but I think no matter the location, no matter the year, the same type of people gravitate to the restaurant business. Seven years ago my boss was Tom. Now, it's John. Both could be called "The Gay Man in Charge." In the kitchen, you have Vinny and Matt -- "The Sarcastic Chefs." (in every restaurant I've worked in, the chefs are ball breakers, but always hilarious) Seven years ago, the main bartender was Seth. Now, it's Travis. Both could also be known as "Bartender Who Takes Job Way Too Seriously."

2) Among the regulars (and there are a lot) are a couple who I'll call E and A. As soon as A walked in (the man) a few of the staff slipped up to me and whispered "watch out for this guy, he's a real jerk." It didn't take long to figure out what they meant. About 4 glasses of cabernet later, he started tearing into his girlfriend -- "I hate when you talk about things you don't know about. You sound so stupid." "This topic is about 10 years beyond your education level." "If you'd just keep your mouth shut, I wouldn't have to talk to you this way." Meanwhile, his sweet girlfriend just sat there and took it. Then, she paid their bill.

And here's the really scary thing, this guy reminded me of G the FC. Now, the difference is G the FC wouldn't say these things to me in public, but similar phrases flung at me in private include "You can't seem to do two things at once." "If I'm mean to you, it's because you make me be mean. I've never treated other girlfriends like this." "Maybe you aren't good enough for me."

Why, oh why, did I put up with this? Why, oh why, does E put up with it? I wanted to grab her shoulders and shake her.

3) The Drunk Big Spenders. They bought two shots of Hennessey Paradis -- $40 a shot. (after they'd already spent loads on other drinks) While this may seem like small potatoes to some of you, it's quite rare in a town where the average bar beer price is $2.

4) I finished the night with a nice glass of French red wine, offered to me by John, my new Gay Man in Charge. While this isn't exactly fascinating information, it was a little slice of heaven after only drinking Chinese red wine. Amazing how your frame of reference changes after living in a (fairly) poor country for a few months.

Sorry folks, but I'll have to save Meeting a Dutchman in Shanghai for tomorrow. No time today and while I'd love to write tonight when I get home from work, the computer is in my mother's room. Ahhh... the joys of living with your parents.


Here's hoping for big tips and blog-worthy characters tonight... see ya

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

"If I'm mean to you, it's because you make me be mean. I've never treated other girlfriends like this."

Oh, Ang! I am so glad you are rid of him. I'm so sorry!!

You should read Diary by Chuck Palahniuk; the main character works in a restaurant and has a similar experience as your couple #1.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home