Thursday, May 04, 2006

The other day M told me about a new past-time in Holland that occurs in the early spring. (So, alas, I've already missed it, as it's a one-time deal.)

Picture it:

It's early morning. Dew glistens on the grass and birds chirp happily as they greet the sun. People are bundled up against the morning chill, steaming cups of coffee cupped in their hands. They are on a farm, anxiously awaiting the big event...

The Spring Releasing of the Cows!

Yes, you read that line right. And no, I'm not intoxicated (yet) and just making up silly things. Apparently, when cows are released from their pens for the first time in the spring, the warmth, new grass, and sun send them into a giddy tizzy. They leap through the air, run out into the new grass, and just generally frolic wildly for about 15 minutes.

Then they settle down again and become the sedate and, dare I say, stately cows that we all know and love. (Behold, the majestic cow!) But who knew cows had a silly side, eh?

Of course, several things went through my head:

1) Uhhh... THIS passes as entertainment in Holland? (Of course, secretly, I very much want to see the cows for myself...)

2) Those smart Dutch farmers. I wonder what they charge for the entertainment and the coffee? (And believe me, they ARE charging for the privilege of seeing their kooky cows.)

(I'm just gonna go ahead and apologize for "kooky cows" right now. What can I say? I'm a sucker for alliteration.)

3) That's it. I'm moving back to the States... to my rinky dink small town, no less, getting me some cows and opening for business. It's still the entertainment industry and I get free milk. Can't beat that.

4) This is it! This is it! THIS is what'll get my friends and family to visit me! Legal drugs? Nawww... Prostitutes? No way! Tulips, maybe? Heck no! Take me to see the cows!

5) Dutch cows are just like Dutch people. The first sign of spring and they act completely nuts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

Hah! LOL. Kooky cows frolicking in the dewy grass. Hah!

8:10 PM  
Blogger rachel said...

Just wanted to say I very much enjoyed reading your blog. I found it by some random searches for travel sites. You're a great writer... very funny.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those wacky, madcap Dutch. :-)

Ummm... You are sure they are cows and not really big sheep? heh!

(That's an inside story, folks. Someday, when I feel the urge to embarrass our dear Angela, I'll tell you the story.)

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home