Wednesday, March 29, 2006

As usual, I've been ruminating about how much of my life I'll allow to spill onto these digital pages. Sometimes, I think "keep it light and fun." Other times I think, "ehh... this is your space, write what you feel, when you feel it."

So, today, I'm going to write about the fact that I'm a bit depressed. Okay, maybe not a bit... let's say a lot. Don't worry... I'm not thinking of stepping in front of a speeding train or anything like that, but somehow I slipped into a place where my life feels exceedingly bleak.

I guess this has been coming on for awhile... the divorce (which meant not only losing a husband but also my bestfriend), getting entangled in a tumultous and faintly abusive relationship... then relocating here and the resultant loneliness and isolation... well, it's all just become a bit too much.

I am getting help. I started antidepressants a few days ago and though the side effects are unpleasant (what?! I can't drink red wine??!!), the drugs have already calmed me down. It's really odd actually. I've always been an emotional person -- case in point, my bestfriends have been known to call me Emo -- but now I'm completely balanced out. It's like taking a vacation from my emotions. Now, I don't find this exactly a pleasant idea either -- i mean, my emotions are part of who I am -- but at the moment, it's a welcome respite.

I would like to emphasize that none of this has to do with M. In fact, he's the only solid thing I'm really holding onto right now. I know it's hard living with someone who's so glum all the time and I'm doing my best to take it easy on him. I feel lucky that I'm with someone who can cope with this side of my personality.

I will try to keep this blog updated as best I can. I find that writing -- now more than ever -- is a cathartic process for me and it really helps if I can release some of the thoughts that rattle around my brain all day long.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.
Nice to see a fellow sufferer.

Life can be a cold bitch most of the time. It's when she kisses us occasionaly that allows us to hang on.

Or to quote another author ---

"A poet is an unhappy being whose heart is torn by secret sufferings, but whose lips are so strangely formed that when the sighs and cries escape them, they sound like beautiful music.."

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.

the comments are really flooding in.

maybe everyone is outside enjoying Spring (I know that's what I plan to do).

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her real friend's don't have to post comments because we can talk to her directly. We don't live our friendships with her through the blog.

And, why are you so happy that she's suffering?!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhh touche' said friend.

some of us only have the luxury of maintaining not so real "friendships" this way. glad to hear you're working the phones, letters, postcards and so forth to keep her bouyant. sounds like she'll need it over the next couple of weeks.

as for enjoying her suffering...that's kind of of a naive statement don't you think? i never said i enjoyed her state - i just acknowledged it.

who doesn't suffer? the ones that seemingly do not are just better distracted and/or medicated.

i'm just glad angela isn't a lemming like the rest of us.

:)

12:58 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Ang,

I think writing is a great way to release your emotions and look back and understand them. I understand the volatility and mass publication issues that posting said emotions on a blog implies. But, definitely do this for yourself. Let us know (real friends and internet friends both) what we can do to help or how we can cheer you up.

In an effort to make you smile and since you've been to China, I offer up this lame name pun...

Learn to speak Chinese

Are you harboring a fugitive- Hu Yu Hai Ding
See me A.S.A.P. - Kum Hia Nao
Small Horse - Tai Ni Po Ni
Your price is too high - No Bai Dam Thing
Did you go to the beach - Wai Yu So Tan
I bumped into a coffee table - Ai Bang Mai Ni
I think you need a facelift - Chin Tu Fat
It's very dark in here - Wai So Dim?
Has your flight been delayed? - Hao Long Wei Ting?
That was an unauthorized execution.- Lin Ching
I thought you were on a diet - Wai Yu Mun Ching?
This is a tow away zone. - No Pah King
You are not very bright - Yu So Dum
I got this for free - Ai No Pei
I am not guilty - Wai Hang Mi?
Please, stay a while longer - Wai Go Nao?
Our meeting was scheduled for next week - Wai Yu Kum Nao
They have arrived - Hia Dei Kum
Stay out of sight - Lei Lo
He's cleaning his automobile - Wa Shing Ka
Does this bathroom stink! Hu Flung Dung?

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home