Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Things I miss about the US:

1) Being a moderately tall female there. The Dutch are the tallest people in the world with men averaging 6'1" and women averaging 5'7". So, I'm slightly below average and, quite frankly, I don't know where those 5'7" women are because when I'm in a bar here (or other crowded venue) I swear my nose grazes the bellybuttons of everyone I pass. The upside of this is, even with the extra pounds, I seem delicate and petite in contrast to these Amazonian females.

2) Central heating. (I won't comment further because you know how I feel about this subject already. Besides, I think if M sees me bitching about it again, he may turn my precious, spoiled butt out onto the street.)

3) Rednecks. Oh where, oh where are my beloved boys with their mullets and pickups? I didn't know I would long for you so. You bring such flair and color to my culture. These Euro-hicks just aren't the same.

4) Poptarts. I can't explain this one. I very rarely consumed a poptart when I was in the US but for some reason I can't seem to get these little frosted delights out of my head lately. (note I said frosted. Why do they even make the plain kind? blech)

5) Dryers (soft... warm... fluffy... towels....mmmmm)


6) Dishwashers (If I had one, I would be so happy, I'd even load it according to precise rules -- forks go with forks! spoons with spoons! -- like the ones my roommate had for this activity back when we were 23)

7) My friends and family. Oooooops... hmmm... maybe they should be a bit higher in this list? Like, I don't know, above poptarts.

8) Thick carpeting with padding. The Dutch carpet their homes with that thin stuff we usually only put in office buildings. And they throw it down straight onto the concrete floor. I thought M was a smidge insane when I saw that my new home was carpeted thusly, but I've since learned it ain't him. It's his people. (for further study, reference Calvin, John. You'll understand Dutch culture a lot better... the irony here of course is that Calvinism left it's mark on day-to-day living but hardly anyone is religious anymore.)

Um, to be continued... And then I'm gonna list the things I don't miss about the US.

I'm off to a neighboring town, Hengelo, to shop for wedding dresses. (no, it's not for me. Don't go getting all excited on me...)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have eased up on my own dishwasher-loading rules since then. I'd be a far more tolerable roommate nowadays, I swear. These days, I'm happy if a dish or a fork just make it into the dishwasher :)

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUMPH!! Second to a damn pop-tart.

Will I move up in status if I send a care package?

:-)

8:48 PM  
Blogger A said...

It's possible, but it has to be a REALLY good care package.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home