Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Fatter, Poorer, but Ready for Another Dutch Winter

Hello!

As the title suggests, M and I's adventure in the States included inhaling copious amounts of food, excessive spending and a wee spot of clothing shopping as to diminish my whining this winter.

Sorry for the loooooong absence from writing but I was giving my geek injury a much-needed break. In fact, now that I'm back on a computer, I can already feel the pesky pain returning. Luckily, I have a physical therapy appointment today.

Oh, where to start?

I know, let's talk about how much weight M gained as a result of being in my fair country. Oh the cheeseburgers! The beer! The Boston cream doughnuts my father bought us! (twice!)

M, who is normally fatless and in perfect shape (the bastard) packed on 6 pounds in just under 4 weeks. While I'd be hyperventilating if is this happened to me, he actually turned the process into a sport. He ate what he wanted, when he wanted it, just to see what would happen. Think of it as his own personal Supersize Me.

Normally, when we're in our Calvinistic country of bread lunches (oh yes indeedy, most Dutch people only have some bread with jam or such for lunch), M would not snack between meals and consume only as much food as he thinks he needs for the day. (Huh? What? Food is meant to be burned off for energy? I don't get it... pass the BBQ chips...) But in America, he said no to nothing.

My Mother: "Oh, M's hungry, I bet. Let's stop and get him some food. M, what do you want? Wendys??"

M: Sure!

My Father: "Which one do you want? The single cheeseburger, the double or the colossal three-quarter pound slab of cow on a roll?"

M: Let's go with the slab. Oh and a large fry. And a vanilla milkshake.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. (Though we did mix it up with visits to different fastfood restaurants.)


I'm not sure what prompted this absolute 180 from his previous habits. Yes, it's partly that he was in holiday mode, but I also think he was trying to see just exactly what it would take to look like an American. (Let's face it. We're shocking to behold for a first-time visitor to the States.)

But despite the fact that he tried his darndest to eat like us, he did still exercise. Hence, he only gained 6 pounds and 2% body fat.



Amateur.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!

Those 6 pounds can be justified...

One of the pounds is the result of those two fast-food meals being consumed at 10:30pm!!! (that one was only supposed to be a liquid stop ;) ) and 11:30pm!!!

Two of the pounds are a result of M not only eating his generous-portion meal at an Italian eatery but finishing off half of my Veal Parmegiana w/spaghetti!!!

Three of the pounds are because M cannot bear to see food thrown away, regardless of whose plate has the leftovers (see above).

The 2% fat is from the cream-filled doughnuts and the chocolate cake consumed for breakfast. ;-)

For the record, I did not force any of the above on M.

:-)

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home