Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Random thoughts:

1) Today's the shortest day of the year. I only know this because Martijn has mentioned this fact several times. Then he quickly adds "they all get longer from here on out and then it's spring and then summer!" I totally understand this feeling... the winter is very gray and very dismal here. And usually, for Americans, we get this little light-filled break at this time of year called Christmas. Yes, we have Christmas here, but the Dutch don't coat their houses with lights the way we do. It's all very somber and Calvinistic in the Netherlands. What I wouldn't give for a long healthy walk through a New Jersey neighborhood that's decorated for Christmas. I need some gaudy.

2) Martijn's ex-girlfriend called him last night at midnight. He didn't answer the phone, but he did listen to the message. She needs to talk with him. I'm not bent out of shape about this at all. I know exactly how she's feeling and I completely understand the late night impulse call.

3) I realized that I never post my doubts and worries and the difficult times I'm having. At least not now that I'm here in the Netherlands. Suffice to say that everyday is different -- some are great, some are tough. I've made a huge life change... I'm not working (which is lonely and boring and alienating) and I'm trying to adjust to a new culture, a new relationship, etc etc. It gets tough at times... especially when you already have all these ways of how you "do" a relationship -- jokes you make, habits you have, etc etc... and then you realize "oh wait, this person is totally different." He doesn't automatically like the same things as me or want to cuddle my kitties or care at all about Christmas or a million other little differences. It just takes adjustment.

4) I'm wondering how to make the platinum hair "work" for tonight's party. Black dress, red lipstick, high heels? Yeah, that's what I thought too.

5) I desperately need a dresser so that I can finally unpack all of my things. First, Dutch people don't tend to use dressers... why I have no idea. Second, after searching through several furniture stores it has become abundantly obvious that furniture here is both badly made and horribly expensive. For instance... I was in a store and spied from across the room a dresser (the dutch word is ladenkast) and thought "okay, that looks like pretty good quality... looks similar to something I'd buy in the States." I walked over to it -- still looked good close up -- and grabbed the price tag. Ummmmmmm....errrrrr. Confusion set in. I looked around to see which other pieces of furniture came with the dresser because obviously this can't be the price for just one piece. After the fog cleared, I realized that yes indeedy, the asking price for a very normal -- not gold inlaid or diamond encrusted or anything -- dresser was 1100 Euros. That's approximately $1300. I could find the same thing in the States for about half that price. (maybe less) Now if I want a rickety one that'll withstand maybe 2 years of use, then I can get away with only spending about 300 Euros.

6) I finally tried Holland's finest wacky weed. Whoa...

7) I have a purring kitty on my lap and that makes even the shortest North European winter day seem okay.

8) I start a Dutch course in January. Yesterday, I met with the woman who runs the course to see if I could "test out" of the first level and start with the second. I'm proud to say I passed and I didn't even have to dig into my cache of Dutch dirty words and vulgar expressions to show her that I'm getting the hang of the language.

9) M and I are spending a few days in Amsterdam between Christmas and New Year's. Yeeeehaw... I can't wait. And get your minds outta the gutter... just because I'm in Amsterdam doesn't mean I'm going to the red light district. (however, if you know me, you know that last sentence was a load of crap and OF COURSE I'm going to the red light district to gawk at the girls behind glass. What?! Did you really think I was going to go see some Van Gogh or Rembrandt paintings?)

10) Every now and again, I miss China. And I really miss the food. There aren't many eating adventures here. You don't ever say "Oooohh whoa... gouda... wow that's kinda weird. Not sure I want to try that." Or... "Mmmm... hmmm... yes, yes, I DO think the potatoes here taste different than at home."

Alrighty, I'm fresh outta random thoughts. (well there are millions of them rattling around in my head, but I'm not willing to share them all...)

But here's a pic for ya. It's me smoking
the aforementioned wacky weed. You can see how well it's going...


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. The shortest day of the year --- And one of your longer posts.

Does this mean I can gauge the arrival of Spring by the length of your posts? Are you Holland's version of Punxsutawney Phil?

When all you post one day is "Hi" does that mean Winter is officially over?

Immersion is tough. But let's face it -- I think immersion just brings out the very thing we work hard to avoid -- this feeling of being alone. But once we overcome that -- The world looks differently no?

Of course - if you want to shortcut all this Pascal'ish ramblings - just smoke more of that weed. From the looks of that picture - it looks like Winter is already gone.

:)

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home