Friday, November 11, 2005

I had my first herring, Dutch style. Now... the proper time of year to enjoy this treat is in the spring when the herring first come in, but apparently they're "jaaaa... okay... still nice" anytime of year. Though in November, they're a bit more salted.

Anyhoo... Martijn and I were wandering around the farmer's market in the center of Enschede when he took me over to one of the fist stalls. There, laying on the ice, were little fish, about 5 or 6 inches long. They've been completely fileted (no head, thank god... I saw enough of those in China), but they still have the skin on the they're little tails. The fishmonger (I love that word) sprinkled a few chopped onions on the inside of the fish and then rolled the outside in them a bit too.

Now, here's the fun part: You pick the fish up by the tail, tilt your head way back and chomp on the little bugger until you'v eaten your way to the tail.

I have to say, it wasn't too shabby. Despite the odd presentation and style of consuming, it's sort of like sashimi.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Ewww!!! ;)

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home